Sunday, 23 September 2007

Second week in Scotland, First in Glasgow

hi there - good to see you're still here :)

As some of you may've noticed, I've not updated my blog in at all this week. There's a few reasons, let me explain the main one;

When you're applying for a teaching position in the Scotland (and the Netherlands) you're to hand in a full police disclosure, which basically says you've refrained from taking on any criminal activities. I wasn't told to bring this document until one week before I left for Glasgow, which can be a problem, seeing as it takes two to three weeks for an applied disclosure to arrive. The head of the bilingual unit in Shawlands Academy didn't consider my lack of a disclosure to be too bothersome for the first week, but I wasn't to come in my second week. I did, however, receive an e-mail from my parents yesterday saying that the document arrived and they were going to fax it to Shawlands. This means that I can go back there on Tuesday (long September weekend, everyone had Friday and has Monday off).

This whole situation left me with a huge gap in my schedule. Which I filled up with..

reading a lot this week (almost finished Vernon God Little, Jules, I'm actually really enjoying it) and drinking ridiculous amounts of coffee. It's come to the point where I prioritize making coffee over going to the loo first thing in the morning..

Anyway, I also spent quite some time on a new project of Harry's and mine;

e-trasheindhoven.blogspot.com
www.myspace.com/etrashehv


it's a blog dedicated to the (Eindhoven's) electro scene. We post news items, brand-new tracks, there's a gig calendar, we're planning on doing interviews and of course, exclusive home-made mixes. go and check it out, I'm very proud of it.

Last Wednesday, I tagged along with Aman and his friends Zaheed and Margo to visit the city of St. Andrews. For those of don't know, St. Andrews is home to Scotland's oldest university. The weather was absolutely fantastic, so I really enjoyed walking around and sight-seeing the old and oh-so beautiful buildings, towers and castles. Margo grew in this area of Scotland, so she was able to tell some interesting stories and anecdotes about the things we saw. Lovely.

Here I am, enjoying the magnificent view of St. Andrews.

We also made a wee walk on the beach and had a who-has-the-prettiest-shell competition. Aman and Zaheed verbally trying to throw each other in the water;


Did I mention that I feel very welcome in Aman's flat? Well, I do. I've met some of his friends and family, went to the movies with him (we went to the Glaswegian Plaza Futura, so to speak, and saw a film called Omaret yakobean - an Egyptian film it was excellent) and joined his dinner parties. We even have good talks for two people who've only known each other for a week. I couldn't be happier with my flatmate (and no, I didnt write that here because I know you read it Aman :p)

Oh, here's a small slideshow of the flat - the poor picture quality is because I made them with my phone (my docking-station has not yet arrived :/)

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/rub0n/Flat/?action=view&current=885c61d7.pbw

My schedule for today; clean the post-dinnerparty kitchen, do my laundry, go grocery shopping at Tesco EXTRA (the British AH XL, I suppose) and continue reading. I'll be teaching the rest of the week, hopefully get a chance to meet up with the Frenchies and go to a Duke Dumont gig next friday. :D

love,

r x

12 comments:

Unknown said...

can't you buy a card reader for your pc to get the pics of your camera? just an idea :P nice to finally read something about your wild adventures in the scottish wilderness again :P

Ruben van Zantvoort said...

well, the problem isn't retrieving the photos from my camera - it's recharging its internal battery :(

Anonymous said...

Wat een knus appartementje! Die meubels geven het zo'n opa en oma uitstraling en die waterpijp maakt 't keihard af. Fruittabak for the win.

Goed werk trouwens met die blog. (y)

Ruben van Zantvoort said...

cheers :)

ik heb ooit wel eens eerder fruittabak gerookt, maar dat stelde echt niks voor vergeleken met Aman's appeltabak (het was zelfs vers, als dat kan?)

heerlijk

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

we moeten echt zo'n ding aanschaffen voor het volgende meerdaags festival.
overigens, the cure komt naar nederland in maart!

Ramon Hogervorst said...

Jah goed he, ik ben hier ook voor zo'n ding aan het kijken, wodt hier heel veel gebruikt. Echt veel verschillende soorten tabak, nice man. kunt het gewoon bij een biertje bestellen :P

Anonymous said...

HEEE Ruben,

Weinig tijd voor een reactie met dat trage internet in India... maar het bevalt zo te zien goed daarzo? Ik heb t hier ook nog erg leuk, beetje gewond maar dat komt wel weer goed!!

See you in december!

xx Kris

Anonymous said...

give us more posts you hottie, we want to know all about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

hej lelijkerd, update es. het is zondag man, geen smoesjes!

Unknown said...

update biatch
gewoon zin maken,
ik kijk er elke dag op

Anonymous said...

were all soooo glad you made it back alive, you sexxxy stud =^_^=